- Suitable for students with background and interest) in life sciences, Biology, Entomology, Crop Science.
- Deadline- Sept 1, 2022
- Start Date- Jan 2023
Fully funded position for a Graduate Research Assistantship leading to an MSc degree in Biology at the University of Lethbridge is available starting January 2023.
The successful candidate will be a member of the Department of Biological Sciences at the University of
Lethbridge, and will be co-supervised by Dr. Robert Laird people.uleth.ca
The project involves investigating the microbiome of khapra beetle (Trogoderma granarium), one of the world’s
most economically important invasive pests of stored grains and grain products
esc-sec.ca. Research will also examine the microbiomes of other stored-
product pest insects.
The bacteria associated with these insects play an important role in their biology and reproduction, and may give insight into methods for their control.
The experiments will be carried out at Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada’s containment facility at the Lethbridge Research and Development Centre under the supervision of Dr. Kevin Floate profils-profiles.science.gc.ca, with guidance from Dr. Vincent Hervet profils-profiles.science.gc.ca.
Candidates need to have completed an undergraduate degree in the life sciences. Previous
experience with molecular methods is desirable.
The ability to complete all admission requirements of the University of Lethbridge’s School of Graduate Studies is required. Refer to uleth.ca for application and degree requirement details.
- $18,000 to $22,000 (depending upon funding availability) per year for two years.
- Additional funding may be available through teaching assistantships and scholarships from the University of Lethbridge.
Deadline for application: September 1, 2022
How to apply:
- Please send a letter of interest, CV, transcripts (unofficial is fine), and the names and contact information of 2-3 academic referees to email@example.com by September 1, 2022.
- Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in September, 2022.
- The successful candidate will be required to apply for admission to the University of Lethbridge by the October 1, 2022 deadline.
For additional information, please contact:
Robert Laird, Professor
University of Lethbridge
Lethbridge, AB T1K 3M4
Note: The position is open to all qualified applicants, although preference will be given to Canadian citizens and
permanent residents of Canada. The University of Lethbridge is an inclusive and equitable campus
encouraging applications from qualified women and men including persons with disabilities, members of
visible minorities, and Aboriginal persons.